GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP!!!
Sleep is so very important. It's time for your body to heal and recharge. If you let worry deprive you of sleep, it will create a vicious cycle. The less sleep you have, the more stress you have.
If you suffer from chronic insomnia, seek help. You may have some underlying health issues that prevents you from experiencing a good night sleep.
For occasional sleep disturbances here are a few ideas to help you out:
- keep regular hours, try going to bed at approximately the same time every night
- do not eat after 7:00-8:00 at night. Digesting food will hinder your sleep.
- have more 'calming" activities before bedtime.... ie. Do NOT watch the news but instead maybe read a good book, have a soothing hobby.
- try some calming teas like chamomile, lavender, etc
- try a hot bath or shower
- do not drink caffeinated products from late afternoon till bedtime
- write any thoughts or to-do list down before bedtime so they will not occupy your mind all night long. You may even want to keep a notebook on your night stand.
- when you are lying in bed, take time to review in your mind all the things you are grateful for in your life
- meditation, yoga have great calming capacities
- increase your light exposure during the day. Make sure your circadian rhythm is well set
- turn your TV and computer off at nigh. Not only does the light suppress melatonin production, but TV can actually stimulate the mind, rather than relaxing it.
- make sure your bed in comfortable
- keep your room cool with adequate ventilation
Be smart, stay healthy!!!