Snacking is a weight loss and health downfall in this country. You are hungry NOW; you are probably in a hurry so you reach for convenience food. Most “convenient food” is either unhealthy, full of preservatives, food coloring, fats, sugar, artificial sweetener and/or calories.
Here is an option to help you save time, money, extra pounds and bad health issue.
All it takes is 30-60 minutes per week of your time to prepare ahead of time some “health” alternatives to convenient snacking. Store them in individual zip lock bags for handy access and portion control.
Here are a few ideas to help you get started:
· Carrot sticks
· Celery sticks and a small container of hummus
· Jicama sticks
· Apples; cut in pieces doused in lemon juice and cinnamon (they keep very well this way)
· Cinnamon cayenne sunflower seeds: Place 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Bake in a 325F oven until lightly toasted, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven and toss well. Allow to cool, and divide among 7 plastic baggies.
· Frozen grapes
· Broccoli (or other veges) with homemade guacamole
· Baked Parmesan rounds : Take 1 Tab of grated Parmesan cheese
Pile it on a baking sheet
Flatten as equally as you can
Bake for 5-6 minute at 350 or until golden brown. The lighter the color the chewier the rounds
Will be. You can eat them warm or cooled.
You can serve them plain, with salsa or a dip. Keep refrigerated.
Plain each round is about 30 calories
· Turkey slices
· Nuts, ½ cup
· Homemade trail mix: be careful what you add to this mixture. Dried fruits and chocolate covered treats may be tasty but they are not all that healthy. If you must add some, make it a very small amount for flavor value
· Hard boiled egg
Be creative. And remember, if you don’t buy it, if you don’t have it in the house, it makes hard to eat it!
So stock up on healthy food and go shopping after you eat. Grocery shopping when you are hungry is deadly!!!
Be smart, stay heathy!