For a term that was hardly known before the 1960's, learning disability has come to include everything from unexplained behavior patterns to clinical autism and everything in between.
Boys show a 10 times higher incidence of ADD/ADHD than do girls. The drug "Ritalin" is the most common medical treatment with over 2 million American children (mostly boys) taking the drug. "Ritalin" prescriptions to children are controversial and the possible dangerous side effects are incredible. Drug therapy has never cured a single case of learning deficit. Mask, cover, temporarily take away symptoms? Yes. But cure? No!
Although the causes of ADD are still under debate, research to date indicates the following associated areas:
1. Nine out of ten children are addicted to sugar and refined flour by age 4.
2. Only 1 of 10 children get adequate gestational and early childhood nutrition. Studies prove that nutrition has made a difference of over 20 IQ points—which is the difference between idiocy, normalcy, average intelligence, and exceptionally bright. Which category would you choose for your child?
3. Though the topic has been hotly debated for decades, studies definitively show that food additives are a major cause of hyperactivity.
4. Food sensitivities and allergies cause mood swings and concentration problems that are extremely difficult to diagnose. The symptoms are sporadic and last anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours.
5. Toxic exposure in one day (especially in cities with pollution) is more than our grandparents were exposed to in a lifetime (environment, food, air, water).
Take a close look at all the angles before you let your child get diagnosed with ADD. And if you think your child fits the profile, first look to remove the possible causes before anything else. Using drugs to solve every cases of possible ADD is like painting over rust and that never achieves any long term results.