ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS--VITAL FOR LIFE...Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are essential for the healthy functioning of every organ, cell, and tissue in your body. They are vital for cell oxygenation, proper brain and nerve function (fatty acids constitute 70% of brain and nerve tissue) proper growth, health skin, lipid and metabolism regulation, prostaglandin and hormone formation, rapid recovery of fatigued muscles, etc. EFA's are anti-inflammatory, brain and cardio protective, and necessary for any weight loss program.
Unfortunately, although our modern day diets are high in fat, it is not the "good" kind of fat. Our foods are cooked with overheated, processed, and often rancid oils. The delicate EFA's in oil are completely destroyed by high temperatures. In fact, prolonged heat completely changes an oil's molecular structure, making it rancid, toxic and very difficult for our bodies to digest and assimilate.
Essential fatty acids are healthy fats, the "good" kind of fats, fats that heal. They are "essential" because our bodies do not manufacture them, so they must be supplied by specific foods or through supplementation. If we get the right kind of fats in the right amounts and balances, they build our health and keep us healthy. The wrong kinds of fats cause degenerative diseases. We need to choose healthy fats every day.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID DEFICIENCY:
- Dry skin and hair; impaired nail growth
- Chronic eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis; adult acne
- Chronic diarrhea; Chron's disease; Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Attention Deficit Disorder, hyperactivity
- Irritability and/or nervousness; PMS, mood change
- Have emphysema, asthma, or other chronic lung disease
- Chronic joint pain or arthritis; increased susceptibility to infection
- History of infertility or impotence
- Chronic depression
- Low metabolic rate; weight gain